Monday, July 9, 2012

BOOK REVIEW:THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER AND THE DARK MONK BY OLIVER POTZSCH



It's summertime and I have been yearning to read a good book,or...several.I was more than thrilled to receive these two e-books from Bzzagent downloaded directly to my Kindle Fire for review! I learned quickly that they are historical novels written in Germany by Oliver Pötzsch . I had never heard of them,or him for that matter, so I was intrigued! The setting is 17th century Bavaria.The three main characters are Jakob Kuisl, aka the Hangman, Magdalena Kuisl,the hangman's daughter and Simon Fronwieser,son of the town doctor and a doctor himself. Without revealing too much of the plot, I thought these books would be very dark and depressing. I was quickly surprised!They are full of mystery,action and adventure with a sprinkling of a forbidden romance!The author describes the characters painstakingly,leaving you visualizing them. I would have never thought that a hangman could be likable,but I love the character Jakob Kuisl! My favorite character is Magdalena,and I actually see a lot of her in myself! She's stubborn,jealous, but also a very sweet girl. I quickly fell in love with Oliver Potzsch's style of writing. He abruptly leaves you off in one situation and continues with another! It left me wanting to read on to find out what was going to happen next! I read non-stop for a few days and looking like a zombie was well worth it! A very interesting fact is that the author,Oliver Potzsch, is an actual descendant of a family of hangmen! In fact,the name Jakob Kuisl was not chosen randonmly,it's the name of one of his hangman relatives!Amazing!
These are the first two books in the series and I'm hysterically happy to say that there are more books coming!They can't come soon enough for me!
Get your copies today!

The Hangman's Daughter-
The Dark Monk-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment and Share,TY! :)